Wednesday, February 23, 2011

VoIP, SIP - Advantage of TELCO, Mobile Operators over OTT players

For the past couple of days I am going through the RCS and other alternative technologies that can pose a challenge to traditional telco revenue. GSMA published a good document here
Then a question came in to my mind.

"What is the USP or what are the clear advantages if a TELCO or Mobile Operator choose launch a VoIP service compared to the traditional internet players like Google, Skype etc. "


Though there are traditional answers vendor propose (e.g. TELCO knows the customer, good point of contact or offer at a cheap rate or bundling service etc etc), I started to look from Customer point of view and at first i thought it's CLIP or Caller Line Identification. When I use SkypeOut or Google Voice or FringOut the receiving party cannot see my number. So if a TELCO choose to launch then they can integrate with their soft switch and pass the CLIP via SIP.

Then I realized my SkypeOut calls can be configured with CLIP which means there is a way or means to do it. So what other unique propositions an operator can propose to the Customer to opt for Operators VoIP service?

Comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment