Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dual SIM Phones, Triple SIM Phones.

While I was in India, one great thing I observed is the proliferation of mobile phones. In year 1999, when I first introduced to a mobile phone, there were three or four models available in Pune. Now I bet there are thousands of models available.
The best part is the Dual-SIM or Triple-SIM phones made by LG, Samsung, Micromax, Motorola, Videocon & some other vendors.

There are various combinations in the multiple SIMs but typically Dual-SIM phones are made to work in GSM-GSM mode or GSM-CDMA, where as the Triple-SIM phones are made to work as in GSM-GSM-WCDMA or GSM-GSM-CDMA which is really useful.

India is a pre-paid market and getting a SIM card is pretty easy. I purchased a dual-SIM phone with GSM-WCDMA to have a first hand experience. It's a Samsung manufactured and model is Samsung Star Duos. My SIM1 is from Bharti Airtel and it's 3G. SIM2 is from Vodafone and only 2G. I'm quite impressed with the performance and the phone did the job pretty well. I can do Video calls, 3G PDP using SIM1 and 2G voice calls & EDGE using SIM2. The configuration is seamless and now I brought the phone to Singapore. Though the IDA didn't approved this phone to be used in Singapore, I am trying to see how it performs.

SIM1: SingTel USIM (3G) (3G only)
SIM2: StarHub SIM - Prepaid (2G).

I've enabled Call forwarding from both. i.e. If SIM1 is not reachable then it calls SIM2 and vice versa. Also I've enabled the SMS Plus feature in SingTel and forwarding the SMS to StarHub SIM.

This is quite similar to what Apple is trying to do with the soft-sim concept. The SIM first registers in one operator network and with a backup configuration of competitors network.So during outages or problems the soft sim registers with the available network. Pretty good idea I guess.





No comments:

Post a Comment