Saturday, February 26, 2011

I Hate MIO TV (Its a IPTV service offered by singtel)



I hate MIO TV because,

* Quality sucks for mainstream content (HD is good but the SD sucks)
* Delay in transmission. It DOES matter to hear my neighbours screaming "OUT" while I still shouting "SIXER" or vice versa.
* REMOTE CONTROL. May be SingTel invented this to frustrate people or reduce the usage of MIO TV so the system is not loaded. It doesn't work or work's with "DELAY".
* Customer Support
* Simple stuff complicated by your so called advanced technology.
* LASTLY but most IMPORTANTLY, changing the content during the contract period without any concern for the subscribers.

Ok, I've joined the group of MIO Haters, and believe me it took so long not because I am lucky but I am patient enough to hold my guns.

The quality of MIO TV is worse than terrestrial broadcast but being an engineer, I trusted that the singtel can do something to solve my problem. Slowly I'd accepted that the quality is what is available for me and continued watching the programs. But recently the quality became unbearable and I need to pause the live tv to see what's the text. No, its not due to below reasons as suggested by the smart customer service officer. I can plug in the years old HDB cable (it still works in my home) and see the difference

* my eye sight or
* problem with the TV or
* Lighting in the room or
* Angle of viewing

Thanks to the advanced technology you've adopted, the LIVE transmission is not "LIVE" but with a DELAY. True, it's 5 seconds but it makes a difference and I could see it when my neighbors screaming "OUT" while we're still enjoying the marvelous boundary by ten doeschate..It was an issue in Football Worldcup and saw lots of complaints in the news papers but it seems the fans accepted or just ignored it now. Or it may be a problem only for me :|

The smart customer support (Who'd suggested that the angle of viewing could be the problem of perceived bad quality) trys to "HELP" the lucky winners of "WHO HOLDS THE PHONE". It seems the norm is ten minutes of waiting time and by the way it costs me to hold the  phone. I wish there is an App which can detect Service Providers calling me and put them on HOLD for 20 minutes while playing "Your call is important to us, but the officer is busy on another line. Please hold while he finishes the other call". Once you wont the lucky draw, then you're asked to repeat few times what is the problem. This is much more frustrating than watching India loosing the cricket match to pakistan.

Also you guys made life more difficult with the "technology". I don't really understand why we need to change the screen settings by going in to "

Menu---> Right arrow-->Right arrow-->Right arrow-->Right arrow-->Settings-->Down arrow --> Channel Guide --> Enter --> Down arrow --> Down arrow --> Down arrow --> Down arrow --> Enter--> Screen Settings -->

Choose the settings and it'll ask for confirm and test and then accept. The funny thing is the feed is in different format. Why can't you just sense the feed and adjust the screen settings accordingly?
Why shall I press the remote button 19 times to change something which shall be accessible by few clicks. Also how come the "Screen Settings" are under "Channel Guide"? This is not a proper way to prove that you are using Microsoft product/software for your IP TV
Fellow blogger even posted the screenshots here

Final complaint is the content & also the high handed change of programming content. Whn MIO TV started you guys have CBEEBEES, Baby first (Kid's/Toddler channels) and BBC Knowledge. The first two are a very good addition to Singapore pay tv and the main reason behind we opting for MIO TV. However within a month (Aug 2009) the BBC channels were gone. We cannot change our subscription because we are still under contract. You'd changed the bundling few times, and every time you offer "new channel" which seems so new. Content is another biggest joke. My dad told me even he dont recall watching or hearing the movies in the Bollywood EROS list.

Cricket in HD is an exception and I wish the programming folks @ mio tv would learn one or two things on how to offer "interesting content". Hopefully I can see Nat Geo, Discovery, History, Cartoon Network, etc channels in the future.

Edit:

Here goes some videos I've recorded.



22 comments:

  1. Just refuse to pay the termination fees and ask them to terminate..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch a soccer game will never be the same again with mio tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use Fiber for mio TV Service.

    Here to share my experience with excellent service for exPlore Home 50 from SingTel and Just installed on 24th June 2011 with mio TV Service.

    I also have mio TV at home along with Fiber Internet Service.Before that,my mio TV make pixelation and freezing when using 2nd Home line+Aztech DSL1000ER(T) bundle.I watched any soccer broadcast or any programme,it has no lag at all on my mio TV as I am using exPlore Home 50 plan From SingTel.The 2wire 5012NV has powerful motherboard.They said that this router is reliable and better than my old Aztech DSL1000ER(T) and 2wire 2701HGV-E.2nd Set-Top Box also provided but paid $12.84 for that STB.I had a pleasent experience for Fibre Broadband.Those of you want to solve your mio TV problems,please refer to my soloutions below

    To solve your mio TV problems,
    1.)Change to exPlore Home 50 at $64.90/month but pay $5.35 for 2wire RG
    2.)Use 2nd line for mio TV
    3.)Use 2wire 2701HGV-E for mio TV Box and 2nd line(But no longer available)

    I like mio TV+Fiber Internet
    * Quality is good for mainstream content including HD
    * REMOTE CONTROL. May be SingTel invented this
    * Smooth streaming
    * No more showing"12:01 PM" when start up
    * 50 Mbps Download/25 Mbps Upload and 15 Mbps overseas.
    * 2wire can handle all 3 services(I didn't have mio Voice)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mohd Saffie Bin Abdul latipOctober 7, 2011 at 5:35 PM

    During this time of posting,only 100 000 Subscribers(33.5%) of 300 000 of mio TV Had gotten the mio TV Firmware Upgrade and new user interface.The remaining 24.5% will have to wait till the new UI came in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. During this time of posting,only 100 000 Subscribers(33.5%) of 300 000 Subscribers of mio TV Had gotten the mio TV Firmware Upgrade and new user interface.The remaining 24.5% will have to wait till the new UI came in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only Parental Control,Buy Interface has been upgraded to black mio TV Interface Upgrading Programme.The rest is still purple or half black and will complete in 1 month as they only work 5 days a week.Sat and Sun has no upgrading as they were working half day.

    Was told that viewing of channels and Video On Demand will not be distrupted as it is an auto upgrading and they told me that the mio TV Set-Top Box will need to leave it on till it completes.The firmware will be upgraded later as today they are not working.

    One time purchases part is unavailable as it is in upgrading process...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, thanks for the comments. But made my mind to terminate the contract :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the messaage from phone about the upgrade of mio TV interface by

    just recd an official email from Ms. Yvonne Tan at 6.25pm

    Dear SingTel Subscribers of remaining,

    You will have to change your Set-Top Box for your mio TV Service as 30 000 boxes cannot work with this upgrade process

    Mio TV interface upgrade will be done if you change your STB.

    As acting on your feedback,We meant that mio TV Set-Top Box user interface upgrade was failed to download into your Set-Top Box and your Box was unavailable from TR-069 list and 30 000 users also facing this.

    As explained,the mio TV interface upgrading was completed on 7th october 2011 and after that date,no more update was available.

    I regret to learn of your intention to change youre Set-Top Box for mio TV Service otherwise no upgrade was available if you wish to proceed with your request.

    We apologise for any incovience caused as 30 000 mio TV Boxes haf no TR-069 on.

    From,
    Ms. Yvonne Tan
    Director
    Branding&Segment marketing
    Digital Home.

    Like what I was told,I have only one option and I have nowhere to turn.Please help me as the upgrade was suddenly interrupted at 79% progress.

    Rats I still using old interface as of now.I tried rebooting the STB,off everything and on ONT first,then 2wire and lastly,mio TV Boxes and it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unpleasent experience of mio TV User interface upgrading.

    This is the messaage from phone about the upgrade of mio TV interface by

    just receive an official email from Ms. Yvonne Tan at 6.25pm

    Dear SingTel Subscribers of remaining,

    You will have to change your Set-Top Box for your mio TV Service as 30 000 boxes cannot work with this upgrade process

    Mio TV interface upgrade will be done if you change your STB.

    As acting on your feedback,We meant that mio TV Set-Top Box user interface upgrade was failed to download into your Set-Top Box and your Box was unavailable from TR-069 list and 30 000 users also facing this.

    As explained,the mio TV interface upgrading was completed on 7th october 2011 and after that date,no more update was available.

    I regret to learn of your intention to change youre Set-Top Box for mio TV Service otherwise no upgrade was available if you wish to proceed with your request.

    We apologise for any inconveinence caused as 30 000 mio TV Boxes have no TR-069 on.

    From,
    Ms. Yvonne Tan
    Director
    Branding&Segment marketing
    Digital Home.

    Like what I was told,I have only one option and I have nowhere to turn.Please help me as the upgrade was suddenly interrupted at 79% progress.

    Rats I still using old interface as of now.I tried rebooting the STB,off everything and on ONT first,then 2wire and lastly,mio TV Boxes and it didn't work.

    Now Left is wait till technician comes don't know when.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad that the new interface has been downgraded back to old interface due to beta firmware got issues.The End.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Problems with new interface of mio TV

    Dear SingTel Subscribers,

    As your reply that about mio TV Firmware upgrade has been downgraded to old interface back as it has problems.

    You will see the new interface on the next firmware upgrade in 2012 or mid 2013.

    We understand that your black interface only lasted for only 4 days when I on the STB on Friday,the thing told me to downgrade to old interface.
    We apologised for new interface cannot work well and we will rectify this problem.


    From,
    Ms. Yvonne Tan
    Director
    Branding&Segment marketing
    Digital Home.


    And now they told me that new interface got problems and wait till new firmware are stable for users.They told me to leave it on standby mode and was told that the upgrading was cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, have had plenty of issues similar to above. basically the problem is every changing programs mixed with instable system :|
    Hopefully they'd bring it on par with dsl/fiber interms of cust exp soon..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay,the update will come next week

    I received a email from SingTel

    Dear SingTel subscribers

    As told,the network problem has been solved,Your home will get the user interface upgrade next week between 2 to 6AM as they wanted to do it via the WAN side for mio TV.Please leave your STB in standby mode.The update to all subscribers will be completed in the middle of Jan 2012.

    From,
    Ms. Yvonne Tan
    Director
    Branding&Segment marketing
    Digital Home.

    Ok,We will get it updated next week and top of that,there is a message scrolling on the TV Set already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since yesterday,my exStream aka exPlore Home 50 was down since 6:40 am yesterday.

    During that time which is yesterday,mio TV is working fine and Internet is not working.Today,my mio TV in the morning is fine but at night when I wanted to watch Everton vs Manchester United and Chelsea and Arsenal and other matches and Masterchef Malaysia on Astro RIA channel 34 on mio TV,mio TV and 50Mbps Internet has been down since 7:00 PM.Tried on and off the ONT,RG,STB,It still dosen’t work.The “SERVICE” led has been red since yesterday.SingTel said that Fiber cable got damaged and they are looking into it.Checked that the 2wire hanged without any movement at all and no ip assigned at all.

    When First Installed my exPlore Home 50 @ $64.90/month with $5.35/RG Charge,It ran without any problems till last Friday,the fiber net access and mio TV was down already.

    I sincerly that those who are sports fan,can SingTel up the Fiber again so that I can watch BPL again and a lot of BPL matches missed due to Distruption of Fiber services.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now,all 3 services on fiber is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My fiber got "Service" LED Lighted Red during the past month but the problems still occored yesterday night at 1:30 am for 5 mins and I have rebooted the router and its okay.My living room also keeps having malfunctioning SingTel mio TV Set-Top Box with restarting and pixelation at wrong time when its is not supposed to have this kind of problems.The PON Light on the ONT is also blinking like 12 times than okay.Only room SingTel mio TV Box is functioning properly.

    A SingTel Technician will came to our house on this Wednesday to check this issues.

    The 5012NV-002 Bears with 2701-000808-004 and first use date was 24-06-2011 at 03:00 GMT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Recently,I started to have problem with mio TV Service,It will show VER 4.1 after 30 Seconds when I switch to Channel 8 and mio Stadium channel 110.

    ReplyDelete
  19. On 1st March 2012,SingTel came and said its my mio STB issue and they don't have immediate stocl to change my faulty equipment that time.

    Today 4th March 2012 @ 11:31 AM,SingTel Just Change the mio TV Set-Top Box,2wire 5012NV-002 and a new Errcison T063G ONT.First,they change the mio TV Set-Top Box and it shows only the Black mio TV logo and it won't move at all.Technican try reset for 30 Minutes but still shows only mio TV Logo.after trying for another 30mins technician decided to change the modem instead because he said likely to be modem spoil.but still shows mio TV Logo Screen.No choice,the technician also suspect the ONT Got problem and they change for me.In the end,I got everything changed...1) New Set-Top Box 2) New Pace 5012NV-002 Gateway 3) New ONT.The technician stayed till the issue and resetup my equipment.
    So now the issue has been resolved and don't have HDMI Issues for now.Hope to keep my fingers crossed and hopefully the next few day have no problem!I would like to thank SingTel CSO,mio technicial Support and Joymer for resolving the issues that I'm facing that time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. On 1st March 2012,SingTel came and said its my mio STB issue and they don't have immediate stock to change my faulty equipment that time.

    Today 4th March 2012 @ 11:31 AM,SingTel Just Change the mio TV Set-Top Box,2wire 5012NV-002 and a new Errcison T063G ONT.First,they change the mio TV Set-Top Box and it shows only the Black mio TV logo and it won't move at all.Technican try reset for 30 Minutes but still shows only mio TV Logo.after trying for another 30mins technician decided to change the modem instead because he said likely to be modem spoil.but still shows mio TV Logo Screen.No choice,the technician also suspect the ONT Got problem and they change for me.In the end,I got everything changed...1) New Set-Top Box 2) New Pace 5012NV-002 Gateway 3) New ONT.The technician stayed till the issue and resetup my equipment.
    So now the issue has been resolved and don't have HDMI Issues for now.Hope to keep my fingers crossed and hopefully the next few day have no problem!I would like to thank SingTel CSO,mio technicial Support and Joymer for resolving the issues that I'm facing that time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just now,my mio TV totally haywire on Astro Prima and Astro Ria channels with lagging frame.

    ReplyDelete
  22. who take a long term payment and go AWOL with your money after only a couple of months. iptv subscription

    ReplyDelete